My Hobbystreak

Disclaimer: This is Not My Idea

The concept of a hobbystreak is not something I have created and, in fact, has been around for a long time. I personally came across hobbystreaks following other people on Twitter as part of another hobby of mine. Mainly following Dana Howl (Dana Howl's Twitter account). Everyday she posts an update of a project she has on the go along with the hastags #HobbyStreakDayX and #Hobbystreak.

The idea behind a hobbystreak is straightforward and there are two main parts to it:
  1. A small amount of effort everyday over a long period of time adds up
  2. The public record of social media helps to motivate you to keep it up

Why do This?

I have lots of failed and half started personal projects under my belt and lots of other projects that I want to do. I also have other commitments that I tend to obey and allow to rule my time rather than work on the things I'm passionate about. (Also, I procrastinate when I could be spending my time on something more productive). So, I'm starting this hobbystreak to help focus and motivate me to do the things I'm passionate about and complete them.

The Rules

The rules I'm going to follow for my hobbystreak (I have to once again credit Dana Howl for these rules - Dana Howl's Twitter account, and yes some of the below has been copied verbatim from one of her posts about this):
  1. Put at least 30 minutes of focused effort into my hobby each day.
  2. Post everyday on Twitter using the format: "#HobbyStreakDayX ....(content).... #HobbyStreak ....(other relevant hashtags)" along with a picture, and where X is the day of the hobbystreak
  3. Try to maintain the streak for as long as possible, if I miss a day I have to start back at day 1

What Constitutes my Hobby?

I don't want to limit myself as to what my hobby constitutes for the purpose of the hobbystreak. But it's going to be very heavily focused around:
  • data
  • data visualisation
  • data science
  • programming
  • technology
  • blogging
Also, I don't want to limit myself to having to be "generating content" for these hobbystreak days so a hobbystreak activity could be as simple as reading a book or listening to a podcast.

The End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Year as a Data Scientist

PIVOT and UNPIVOT in T-SQL

My First Retro